Going to Kroger today to buy groceries, I realised that I had forgotten to look up a good chili recipe before going. So naturally I decided to wing it. How hard can it be to make some veggie curry? Anyway, what follows is the very simple recipe I came up with. (I’d also forgotten to look up a good curry recipe, and some others, but I’m not quite adventurous enough to take those on without instruction.)
- Chili Beans (2 cans) – I figured I’d start with the obvious and go from there. I used Bush’s Medium Chili Beans, to get some built in seasoning.
- Black Beans (1 can) – Just used the Kroger brand for this.
- Kidney Beans (1 can) – Again, the Kroger brand.
- Great Northern Beans (1 can) – You guessed it. (Kroger!)
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis (1 small can) – This worked out pretty well; just the Kroger brand.
- Prego Traditional (1 24oz. container) – I used pretty much all of this as the tomato base for the chili.
- Tone’s Garlic and Herb Seasoning (2 shakes) – Just from what I had lying around.
- Salt (5 twists of the grinder) – Obviously adjust this to your taste.
- Black Pepper (something like 15 twists of the grinder) – Again, adjust to taste.
- Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (a smidge) – This was just to make the recipe uniquely mine. I just scraped some from the top of the jar and used that spoon to mix everything thoroughly.
When it was all thrown into the pot and mixed together, I let it sit on low heat for 2-3 hours on the stovetop. I served it with saltines, and next time I think I’ll add some cheese.
What are your favorite chili recipes? Do you have any suggestions for future iterations of my chili?